If you click a link on this page and make a purchase we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Shortly after publication or announcement of a new DJI drone, our readers and subscribers to our YouTube channel ask about possible upcoming successor models and future developments. This is understandable, since, similar to the smartphone or camera industry, an incredible technology hype has broken out around drones, especially when it comes to camera drones.
Everybody wants to get all the information about new models and possible innovations as early as possible – and usually order early enough to be able to be part of the first wave of deliveries by pre-ordering right away without having to prepare for long delivery times later on.
And expectations are running real high, as illustrated by the meme shared around DJI communities:
Until the new Mavic 3 comes out, check what DJI competition is up to …
Autel released a real beast of a drone dubbed as Evo 2 – click for more details on it here. Also, Skydio launched a Skydio 2, one of the best drones ever made when it comes to obstacle avoidance and religious following of its target. Read about it more here.
The brand new DJI Mavic Mini was launched last year. Up until the eve of this launch, questions regarding a possible successor were mainly focused on speculation about a possible DJI Spark 2 or DJI Mavic Air 2 which was released couple of months ago.
However, DJI surprised the drone community with a new type of product: the aforementioned DJI Mavic Mini. As DJI has now served the category of light and small camera drones and another new product in the same class is unlikely, we are now receiving more inquiries about possible successors to the current drones in the higher-priced segment.
This is largely manifested with questions about a possible successor to DJI’s current blockbuster models: the DJI Mavic 2 series (DJI Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Mavic 2 Zoom).
While we wait on the Mavic 3 Pro, check out the rumors on the new Mavic Mini 2. Or have a look at the Autel Evo 2 that was finally released after many months of delays and disappointments.
Mavic 3 Pro Release Date Still Unknown
We are constantly receiving requests or YouTube comments about when a possible DJI Mavic 3 (or DJI Mavic 3 Pro / Mavic 3 Zoom) might be available.
Officially, there are no announcements, dates or information from DJI about a DJI Mavic 3 as the successor to DJI Mavic 2. Rumors of possible release in January 2021 seem to be incorrect.
When there is official information from DJI regarding a possible DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mavic 3 Pro or DJI Mavic 3 Zoom as the successor of the current DJI Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, we will of course inform our readers in detail and, if the new camera drone arrives, we will introduce and test it as soon as possible.
It will include ADS-B, as DJI has previously announced, and it will have an improved camera. Although we do not yet have any information about the sensor size and type of shutter DJI may be using, we believe that the Copter will have a 1-inch sensor that will provide much better video quality than DJI Mavic 2 and even better than what you know from the current Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.
DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo - Drone Quadcopter UAV with 48MP Camera 4K Video 8K Hyperlapse 1/2" CMOS Sensor 3-Axis Gimbal 34min Flight Time ActiveTrack 3.0 Ocusync 2.0, Gray
7 used from $749.00
- 【UP YOUR GAME】: The Mavic Air 2 camera drone takes power and portability to the next level. It combines a powerful camera with intelligent shooting modes for stunning results. Push your imagination to its limits because aerial photography has never been this easy.
- 【NEXT-LEVEL CONTENT】: Capture impressive 48MP photos with a 1/2-inch CMOS sensor while the 3-axis gimbal provides 4K/60fps video. The secret to incredible HDR video is a high-performance Quad Bayer image sensor. OcuSync 2.0 has a video transmission distance of up to 6.2mi / 10 km and can also deliver 1080p FHD resolution livestream directly from the drone’s camera.
- 【IMPROVED FLIGHT】: An impressive flight time of up to 34 minutes allows you to pull off epic, fast-paced shots. Obstacle sensing in three directions makes it extra convenient for beginners and improves safety for your Mavic Air 2.
- 【INTELLIGENT TRACKING】: Mavic Air 2 features intuitive shooting functions that make aerial photography easier than ever. Spotlight 2.0 keeps the camera locked on a subject while you fly freely. ActiveTrack 3.0 keeps subjects centered. POI 3.0 tracks moving subjects like people and vehicles.
- 【APP COMPATIBILITY】: The DJI Fly app requires iOS v10.0, Android v6.0, or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone (11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6), iPad Pro (9.7’’), iPad Air 2 (9.7’’), iPad mini 4 (8’’), iPad Pro (10.5’’), iPad Pro 2018 11’’, iPad Pro 12.9’’, Samsung Galaxy (S20, S10+, S10, S9+, S9, S8+, S8, S7 edge, S7, S6, Note10+, Note9, Note8), Huawei (P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 10, nova 5, nova 4, nova 3e, nova 2, Honor 8X, 10, 9, 20 Pro, Magic 2, Mi 8, MIX 2S, MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, Oppo Find X, R15, Vivo NEX, X27, X21, X20A, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, LG V20, LG G6, Sony Xpeial 1.
DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo – Ultralight Foldable Drone, 3-Axis Gimbal with 4K Camera, 12MP Photos, 31 Mins Flight Time, OcuSync 2.0 10km HD Video Transmission, QuickShots, Gray
22 used from $365.20
- PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE: at less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories
- OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION: mini 2 supports up to 10km of hd video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: with a max battery life of 31 minutes, dji mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest
- 4X ZOOM: there’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition
- QUICKSHOTS: with just a few taps, dji mini 2 automatically records and shoots professional-level videos to share directly on social media. whether you’re a beginner or a more experienced flyer, the dji fly app helps you produce impressive results complete with soundtracks and filters
Do the rumors about DJI Mavic 3 Pro include a zoom version?
In the DJI Mavic 3 Pro rumors, there is little information on whether DJI will continue its dual Mavic product line and release a Mavic 3 Pro and a Mavic 3 Zoom. We know that they are currently testing the camera for the Mavic 3 Pro.
But will there be a zoom version?
One solution could be for DJI to combine the Pro and the Zoom and simply call it the new Mavic 3 with a better camera and a better zoom lens. Even if this is a tempting idea, we think it’s unlikely. We believe it will be more realistic if DJI keeps the Mavic 2 zoom and positions the new Mavic 3 Pro above it.
In fact, we wouldn’t be surprised to see DJI continue to develop both the Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro, while at the same time launching the new Mavic 3 Pro. Just as they continued to sell the original Mavic Pro after the launch of Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. DJI would basically take a page from the Apple iPhone marketing playbook, where older models are still available at lower prices while new phones are introduced. We believe that emulating this strategy would be a smart move for DJI.
DJI Mavic 3 Pro Specs
According to the guys at dronedj.com, Mavic 3 Pro is going to be a real beast:
Expected specs for the DJI Mavic 3
As far as other specs for the DJI Mavic 3 go, we do know that the video quality will be at least on par, but likely better than what you get from the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. An industry insider told us that the new camera on the M3 will not have any of the “raw sub-sampling” issues we have seen on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro.
Furthermore, the DJI Mavic 3 will have ActiveTrack 3.0. Apparently, DJI has been keeping a close eye on Skydio and while the Chinese drone maker is unlikely to match the obstacle avoidance and self-flying ability from the new Skydio 2, we do expect to see some significant improvements in how the DJI Mavic 3 will be able to avoid obstacles.
As far as the DJI Mavic 3 coming with OcuSync 3.0, as was recently suggested by @OsitaLV, that has been reaffirmed by our source as “nonsense”. DJI will almost certainly still use OcuSync 2.0 for the M3.