The DJI Mavic Pro Drone has been touted as one of the best drones currently available on the market. That’s the reason why a ton of DJI fans are already turning their heads towards the next version. If you were paying any attention to DJI’s release dates in the past year, you would notice that the DJI Mavic 2 should be their next release.
Now, I don’t really know whether that will turn out to be true or not. But what I do know is that there is already a ton of information regarding the upcoming portable drone. However, these are mostly speculations and rumors. People can’t wait to get their hands on it. However, for the time being, they are just playing the good old guessing game in terms of its specifications and features.
In this article I will try to summarize all of these DJI Mavic Pro 2 release date rumors and leaks, expectations and speculations.
DJI Mavic Pro – image by DJI.com
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Release Date
On August 31, 2017, DJI announced the new Mavic Pro Platinum. After this Platinum version of Mavic Pro, next drones to release from DJI will be DJI Mavic Pro 2 and DJI Phantom 5. The DJI Phantom 5 is rumored to be released before Black Friday shopping season 2017. And according to our source, the upcoming DJI Mavic Pro 2 will be announced and released in the first half of 2018.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Size and Design
DJI Mavic Pro is an incredibly small drone and comes with foldable arms, making it one of the most portable drones around. However, many people are sure that the Mavic Pro 2 will also come with the same concept in mind and that DJI will further improve its portability by reducing its size. That’s kind of ridiculous since DJI Mavic Pro is an absolute champion in that division. The GoPro Karma is the only worthy competitor, but it is much bigger and bulkier. Still, I have to admit that I would like to see Mavic 2 smaller than Mavic Pro.
Of course, I would still want it to retain its stability in hover mode. This feature gets more difficult to achieve the smaller the drone is. We can all hope that DJI will find a nice balance between stability and compactness. But I’m sure they will do a great job, just like they always have.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Camera
Mavic Pro has an incredibly powerful camera capable of capturing crystal clear 4K footage with praiseworthy smoothness and stability. However, everything has scope for improvement. It would be great if the new Mavic 2 could incorporate the addition of a 1-inch image sensor, like the one on the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. This feature would allow even better image quality coming from the Mavic 2.
Another rumor doing the rounds is the fact that Mavic Pro 2 will come with a detachable camera, just like the GoPro Karma. This feature would help improve portability because the camera could be separately safeguarded. Also, users would have the option of upgrading the camera if needed.
If any of these 2 speculations turn out to be true, we will be up for an extremely compact and incredibly powerful aerial photography platform… unlike anything we have the chance to witness so far.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Battery Upgrades
There are more than few rumors circling around the web regarding the battery. Batteries are a huge aspect of any drone and should not be taken for granted. Here are a total of 2 rumors that I found online regarding the DJI Mavic Pro 2 battery.
- More powerful battery designed specially by DJI, which would be huge news! I mean, don’t get me wrong, the Mavic Pro does have an impressive up to 30 minutes battery life that exceeds the flight time of many of the drones available right now. However, every improvement on the flight time is undoubtedly well placed. A higher flight can only make it more fun to use, and with that being said, I would like to see an increase of at least 10 minutes.
- 90% of modern day drones are currently powered by the standard Li-Po batteries. These batteries are OK for most scenarios and conditions. However, the one thing they lack is operating under extremely cold conditions. This problem could be fixed by implementing Li-Io (Lithium Ion) batteries. These batteries can effectively work without any issues at -40 Celsius, which could prove to be useful for people wanting to film drone footage in freezing cold places such as the Antarctic.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Features
DJI is known to incorporate the latest and best features in their drones. So the biggest questions of them all are all related to features Mavic Pro 2 will feature. Now let’s take a look at some of the most common rumors and speculations about the flight features that I was able to find!
- Better obstacle avoidance sensor – Developing their own obstacle sensing system that can battle with that on Yuneec’s models has been a huge task for DJI in the past. Fortunately they’ve managed to build a great one and it is available in all their latest drones. Now Mavic Pro already has a solid obstacle avoidance system. However, it only has 1 sensor located near the camera. While this is still pretty solid in terms of safety, the DJI Phantom 4 is equipped with 4 sensors, with 1 on each side. This would, of course, be an excellent addition to Mavic 2’s lineup, and it would make it easier for beginner fliers and advanced fliers to control the drone.
- Improved ActiveTrack feature – The ActiveTrack mode by DJI is extremely popular with users, but nevertheless, it has a tendency of losing its target and spinning around the area endlessly. Mavic 2 seems like it is going to be a huge hit, so by improving this feature, DJI would surely cement their status as the number 1 drone manufacturer.
- Water resistance – This is one of the most anticipated features. DJI doesn’t have any water resistant drones as of now. It does not necessarily have to be 100% waterproof. However, some kind of a water protection would be a good improvement, especially for people who want to record water activities.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 Price
Again, there is no concrete evidence to suggest the price of this upcoming foldable drone. However, we can expect it to be somewhere around the Mavic Pro. Ideally, Mavic Pro 2 should be priced between the current Mavic Pro drone and their cheapest DJI Spark.
There are few more rumors and leaks about DJI Mavic Pro 2. For example, it should be faster than Mavic Pro (the current Mavic can hit speeds of up to 40 mph, while the new sportier Mavic 2 should top 50 mph), and have better range (the original Mavic has an impressive range of 4.3 miles, while the next edition of the Mavic should be able to eclipse the 5-mile range no problem).
I will go back to this article once DJI Mavic Pro 2 gets released and do a summary of things that I guessed correctly.
Until then, fly safely!