If you click a link on this page and make a purchase we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
We tested professional multicopter models for professional and commercial use. These drones are usually in the upper price segment. If you are looking for a solution for the hobby or semi-professional area, you should visit our test reports and purchase recommendations for photo drones: Top10 photo drones.
Top Profi Drones for 2019 & 2020
|DJI Mavic 2 (Pro/Zoom)||9.5|
|DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual (M2ED)||9.2|
|DJI M600 Pro||8.8|
|DJI Inspire 2||8.5|
|DJI Inspire 1 Pro||8.3|
|DJI Inspire 1||8.0|
|DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0||7.7|
|DJI Spreading Wings S900||7.6|
|Yuneec Typhoon H PRO||7.3|
|DJI Spreading Wings S1000+||7.0|
According to a post published on Business Insider, the drone market is expected to cross a whopping $14 Billion by 2024 and currently it is sitting at somewhere between $4-$6 billion and rapidly increasing.
However, coming back to our main discussion, which is about the advance drone models.
What Are Professional Drone Models?
When we say profi drones, it’s not only about flying it and taking iconic images. It’s more about their features, functionality and wide range of use for different purposes. Nowadays, they are used for saving lives, collecting data and much more that you can think of.
Just imagine that you can save someone’s life from a very far distance or even collect data at occasions that might be life-threatening for human beings. The technology being used in the modern day advanced drones is incredible and mind-boggling. Though the cost is high but worth for the features and benefits in the long run.
What Are They Capable of Doing?
Just think of something and these drones are ready to serve you. Here are some core things they are capable of doing:
- Flying Long Distances: Of course, this has to be integrated. The advanced drones can fly longer distances as compared to the normal ones. Their range of control is much higher. While some of the basic models barely fly 300-500m, some of the advanced models, especially from the DJI series can travel as much as 10 km+ and even more.
- Images: The next benefit of owning an advanced model is better and crispy image and video quality. These are HD images and videos with no blurring or video sticking. The cameras used in the advanced models are of high quality, they have better features and the output is mesmerizing.
- Life Savers: Whether it be natural or manmade disasters, drones can be easily positioned to survey the damage and even locate stranded and injured victims. Rescue teams can also evaluate whether it’s safe to go to a certain point or not.
- Hurricane Hunting: As I said earlier, drones are not only about flying and taking images. Nowadays, they can be easily flown into the heart of a storm that saves one from risking human life and collect the useful data that researchers need to study about storm patterns.
- Law Enforcement: Advanced drones, that travel long distances can be used by law enforcement agencies for tracking the lost children, suspect tracking and monitoring crowd.
- Aerial Photography: And who doesn’t love to take photographs? With much advanced models, you’ll have the perks of capturing scenic images. You’d be able to reach areas where it’s hard or impossible for you to reach. All you need a drone monitored by a remote control in hand and a click for that iconic image.
There’s much more the advanced drones are capable of. The trend of delivering packages via drones is now uprising. They also guide in tours and used as a mean of banner advertising flying across the city.
How Much Do They Usually Cost?
Drone prices vary from model to model and brand to brand. The world’s smallest drone starts from as low as $25 only. However, for the advanced model, you can never expect the price to be in two figures only.
It’s usually in three and mostly in four figures. Talking of the leading drone manufacturer, DJI, they have drones ranging from $500 and as much as $6,000+.
The drones price between $400-$1000 may or may not fall in the advanced category, still they are good enough. If you are up to some serious features and functions, consider investing more than $600+.
Check out our reviews for the most popular advanced drone models:
Who are top manufacturers?
Here are some of the best and top manufacturers of drones and must be your top priority.
- DJI Innovations: One of the best in the market.
- Yuneec: Manufacturer of over 1 million units in just 2014.
- Parrot: You simply can’t question their quality.
- Hubsan: Top notch features and advanced models.
- Blade: Known for their iconic designed drones.
- JRC: Top company known for making robots, toy guns and remote controlled vehicles along with drones.
- Syma: The best remote controlled helicopters and drone manufacturers.
- UDI RC: On the verge of their popularity.
- Walkera: Offering the best features at the best price.
- Cheerson: Established in 2011 but gained massive fame for their top notch drones and quadcopters.
- HOBBICO: The company behind Dromida Ominus, Estes Proto X and Heli-Max and much more.
- 3DR: 3D Robotics are the best manufacturers of autonomous drones with GPS and a lot of features.
DJI Mavic 2 (Pro/Zoom)
The DJI Mavic 2 is also in the second generation an absolutely remarkable machine. But which drone should you buy – Pro or Zoom? Ultimately, it’s your wallet that decides whether you buy the 250,- USD more expensive DJI Mavic 2 Pro or settle for the cheaper DJI Mavic Air Zoom.
But for the extra price of the Pro version, one also gets a powerful camera that offers sufficient reserves for the post production image processing. If 12 megapixels are sufficient for the photo resolution and you can do without an adjustable aperture, the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom is the right choice.
The comprehensive obstacle sensor system, the improved flight functions and the quite long flight time of 31 minutes as well as the extremely stable signal transmission thanks to DJI’s OcuSync 2.0 speak for themselves in any case.
DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual (M2ED)
With the new Enterprise models of the second Mavic series, DJI Innovations has mature models for professional use in its portfolio. Especially the extension modules – consisting of loudspeaker, headlight or collision warning light – are extremely useful depending on the field of application and usage and also function surprisingly reliably in practice. The same applies to the thermal imaging camera of the DJI Mavic Enterprise Dual, which delivers remarkable results especially considering the comparatively low purchase price.
DJI M600 Pro
The DJI Matrice M600 Pro is an optimal multicopter system for pilots and aerial cinematographers with high demands. A high payload, comparatively long flight times and a technically extremely sophisticated flight controller are just some of the advantages that the DJI M600 Pro Hexacopter has to offer.
DJI Inspire 2
Compared to the DJI Inspire 1, the DJI Inspire 2 has many features and technologies that you shouldn’t miss. The more affordable camera version (X4S) alone is much better positioned thanks to its 1-inch image sensor. The dual battery slot as well as the numerous anti-collision sensors, flight modes or redundant units (e.g. redundant IMU) make the DJI Inspire 2 a much safer drone. But also the new FPV camera or the optional DJI Crystalsky display should not be overlooked with the latest DJI flagship. All in all, the DJI Inspire 2 is not only safer, but also more comfortable and technically mature than its predecessor.
DJI Inspire 1 Pro
The aerodynamic design, the high quality and the extensive scope of delivery are undoubtedly the reason for the great reputation of the DJI Inspire 1, but at the same time also the reason why both amateur and professional pilots can technically float on the same wavelength. DJI Inspire 1 – in view of its features and functions – is an extremely worthwhile quadrocopter, which even after more than three years after its release is largely state of the art and could be an option for everyone.
DJI Inspire 1
If the price doesn’t scare you off and you want a technically extremely high-quality solution and are satisfied with comparatively very good recording quality, which, however, doesn’t come close to that of SLR cameras or good system cameras, then here’s the answer: Dji Inspire 1
The flight stability and the flight characteristics are excellent.
The quality and workmanship is – as usual at Dji Innovations – excellent and once again comparable to that of the giant Apple.
This is an ideal drone for the target audience that wants flying and filming as well as aerial photography without having to deal with complicated technology. And a functioning complete solution with all imaginable features and functions, without having to retrofit them yourself.
DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0
The only slightly revised DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 offers a comprehensive and rewarding package. The Quadrocopter has a particularly high-quality and powerful camera gimbal unit, so that aerial photos in professional quality are guaranteed. Compared to the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V1.0, the revised V2.0 version is significantly quieter and offers a more stable signal transmission with the newly integrated DJI OcuSync system. A whole range of flight modes and special functions make the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 the current spearhead of the Phantom model series – especially if you want to use the drone for more professional purposes.
Yuneec Typhoon H PRO
A solid system with many functions and sophisticated obstacle detection and sensor technology at an acceptable total price.
The workmanship is good and solid – the quality sufficient. The basics such as the image quality and resolution of the camera are very solid and correspond to the current state of a 4K camera. The Gimbal also does a good job.
DJI Spreading Wings S1000+
The Dji Spreading Wings S1000+ Octocopter is the heavyweight and the load mule of the DJI Multicopter family with 6kg basic weight and up to 5kg payload. Take-off weight: fabulous 6-11kg.
The individual components of this platform are extremely well thought out and easily accessible. The A2 flight control and the iOSD Mark II from DJI are recommended. For the FPV flight the camera operator can also use the Dji Lightbridge for HD live image transmission.