Snaptain SP7100 Drone Review – Cheap, Fun But Is It Reliable Enough?
If you click a link on this page and make a purchase we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Drones can be controlled remotely by a pilot or by preprogrammed plans or automation systems that enable them to fly autonomously. Various industries and organizations are adopting this technology.
Snaptain is a trademark under a company known as Van Top Technology & Innovation Co. Ltd. It was founded in 2014, and Snaptain has dominated the bargain-priced drone market with its advanced drone models and low prices. Based in China, the company sells drones worldwide to the EU, Russia, Japan, India, the Middle East, and the United States.
Most of the Snaptain drones are typically below $100, but some advanced models are within the $100 to $200 price range. Consumers benefit from Snaptain’s low-priced drones as other companies have to lower their prices to compete with the company.
The company focuses on quality. Therefore, despite the low prices it charges, users are assured of getting value for their money with the user-friendly and ready-to-fly drones the company manufactures.
Snaptain offers a wide range of drones for drone users to choose from. From young to old, beginners, intermediate flyers, and even experienced pilots all have options that they can choose from.
This article will focus solely on the Snaptain SP7100 drone: its features, pros, cons, and go through safety measures to observe when handling the drone.
Before going into detail on the Snaptain SP7100 drone, we will first examine what factors one should consider when deciding on a drone.
Factors to consider when deciding on a drone
Flight time and battery life
Some drones are more powerful than others. One key feature to consider when purchasing a drone is its battery life. Battery life affects the flight time of the drone. Pilots can operate some drones for a decent amount of time while some of them only hold a charge for a few minutes. That significantly affects the amount of footage that you can shoot.
When getting a drone, it is advisable to get one with a 4K or higher video resolution. However, the better the video resolution, the more expensive a drone will be. Therefore, it is essential to determine what you will use your drone for before investing too much money in it.
The fly package
This feature is significant to consider when buying a drone. Most manufacturers make their drones with either of the following packages:
- Ready to fly- This drone comes complete with everything needed to fly it. You will probably need to assemble it, but this is limited to attaching propellers and plugging batteries.
- Bind and fly- Simply put, with these types of drones, the user needs to bind their drone to the controller before they can start flying.
First-time drone users should opt for the ready-to-fly drones because they are the ones with everything needed to get the drone up and running immediately.
Advanced control options
Various communication protocols such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enable you to connect your drone to a computer, smartphone, or tablet.
GPS home function
With this function, drones know where they started flying from and attempt to return to that location in case of a problem.
GPS navigation enables a user to track their drone or program routes.
As much as you avoid it, you are likely to crash. Therefore you must choose a drone whose spare parts are easy to find.
Drones that can stream videos can let users stream videos from a first-person view or stream videos back to a computer or laptop.
Drones with built-in cameras and add-on camera support give users flexibility in using their drones for video and photography.
When deciding on one’s budget, it is vital to consider how much money you would spend on replacement parts and repairs.
Having a non-shaky drone camera is undoubtedly much more important than resolution and even image quality.
Intended use of the drone
Last but not least, before users begin searching for a drone, whether for economic or recreational purposes, it is crucial to determine how you intend to use your drone.
4K camera with shock absorption
This type of camera captures images with high fidelity. The camera angle is 90° adjustable directly through the controller, which meets diverse requirements for different shooting purposes
Brushless motors are more powerful and run with less noise than a brushed motor. That enables stable and fast drone flights.
Follow Me Mode
This feature is found under the GPS mode, and with it, the drone automatically follows the app signal of your mobile phone, ensuring it captures the inspiring images no matter where you go.
Multiple positioning systems
Examples of multiple positioning systems include GPS location, Ultrasonic positioning, Altitude hold, and Optical flow positioning. With this feature, the drone can hover very stably, and it makes the drone easy to use for users.
Point of interest
This feature enables the user to choose a point, set the desired hover height and radius, and the drone automatically circles around the object, capturing beautiful shots of the object.
Intelligent Return to Home feature
With the aid of GPS positioning, the drone automatically flies back to the starting point if it loses signal or runs low on battery. That way, you don’t have to worry about it getting lost and flying away, never to be found.
Custom path flight
With this feature, all the user has to do is draw a route on the screen, and the drone will fly along the path they have drawn on the app to focus on capturing photos and videos, seize the opportunity and get outdoor fun.
Safety practices to observe when flying an SP7100 drone
👉 Drone users need to observe safety measures when flying drones for others’ sake and their own sake. Note that the safety measures written below do not only apply to the SP7100 drone but all drones in general.
- You must only fly one drone at a time.
- Always fly your drone within your visual line-of-sight. That means that you should fly your drone only during the day, avoid flying the drone in cloud, fog or rain, make sure that you can see your drone with your naked eye at all times (without using binocular or watching a video screen), and not fly your drone behind trees, buildings, or anything else that may hinder you from seeing your drone.
- Operators are also advised not to fly their drones above 120m.
- It is not safe to fly drones over people or closer than 30m to people unless they are helping you navigate your drone.
- It is prohibited to fly one’s drone in prohibited or restricted airspace.
- Before flying your drone, make sure that the battery is fully charged. Beware that if the battery has been stored for a long time, the prolonged storage may degrade the battery’s performance.
- Check that the propellers are in good condition at all times before you fly your drone. Propellers create the thrust, so they must be in the right condition.
- Before powering the drone, make sure to switch on the controller to ensure that the drone is always under control. Likewise, once you are done flying your drone, switch off your drone first before switching off your controller.
Many manufacturers offer a low-cost drone model to attract beginners to the brand. However, none have delivered a successful coup like Snaptain, which specializes in drones for beginners.
Whether or not you settle for the SP7100 as your drone of choice of drone, the fact remains, you have to do in-depth research before purchasing a drone.
- It has the second-longest maximum flight range of 2600 feet for control range in the under $200 price range.
- It is one of the only drones with brushless motors that are under $200.
- The drone includes all GPS-enabled features that one would expect, plus more advanced features such as Point of Interest mode and Geofence mode.
- It has a thoughtful design- The drone comes with a foldable remote, and its design makes outdoor flying more convenient.
- The drone is very stable- Its processors work so quickly that not even sudden gusts of wind can cause it to move from its fixed GPS location. It also doesn’t drift off course as some other drones do.
- It is convenient to use for beginners.
- The drone automatically turns off if it is not operated within ten minutes, thereby saving energy.
- It is safe and easy to use- The Ultrasonic Positioning and Optical Flow Positioning make a more precise position and more stable flight when it is windy. The drone's implanted electric fence ensures the safe landing of the drone.
- The drone's speed can be increased when in flight to reach a location faster and decreased for precision to fly through obstacles.
- It has a decent battery life with a maximum flight time of about.
- The drone does not have image stabilization.
- Other drones are cheaper than the Snaptain SP7100 for users that don’t have drones with brushless rotors as a priority.
- Its fixed camera is not the most ideal for windy days.
- It has a fixed-wing design. Therefore it is not as compact and portable as drones with foldable wings.
- The drone’s controller is not the most compact design.